Beginner question - Kvazer USB CAN driver

Beginner question - Kvazer USB CAN driver

GARNERO, PIERRE (P.)

Hello.

I would like to use a KVAZER USBcan Rugged device with the socketcan library.

I use Raspbian OS and I have built a kernel with anything enabled regarding CAN.

I have loaded the following modules:

# modprobe can

# modprobe vcan

# modprobe can-raw

# modprobe can-dev

# modprobe kvazer-usb

But any ip link command (ex: ip link add dev can0 type can) failed with “RTNETLINK answer : operation not permitted” (excepted for vcan which works well).

Could someone provide me some hints regarding the steps to have a Kvaser USBcan device up and running using the net driver ?

Many thanks in advance,

Pierre

Re: Beginner question - Kvazer USB CAN driver

Max S.
Hello,

I'm not sure about the kvaser in particular, but the driver should
create the network interfaces when the USB device is attached.

so no need to add a new socketcan device.

Check to make sure you have kvaser connected:
        lsusb

Check to make sure kvaser driver has made network interfaces:
        sudo ip link list

Then bring the interface up:
        sudo ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 250000

Listen to some frames:
        candump can0

Depending on how you have permissions set up you will require sudo to
use most of the ip commands.

Regards,
Max Schneider

On Tue, 2014-01-07 at 14:17 +0000, GARNERO, PIERRE (P.) wrote:

> Hello.
>

> I would like to use a KVAZER USBcan Rugged device with the socketcan
> library.
>
> I use Raspbian OS and I have built a kernel with anything enabled
> regarding CAN.
>

> I have loaded the following modules:
>
> # modprobe can
>
> # modprobe vcan
>
> # modprobe can-raw
>
> # modprobe can-dev
>
> # modprobe kvazer-usb
>

> But any ip link command (ex: ip link add dev can0 type can) failed
> with “RTNETLINK answer : operation not permitted” (excepted for vcan
> which works well).
>

> Could someone provide me some hints regarding the steps to have a
> Kvaser USBcan device up and running using the net driver ?
>

> Many thanks in advance,
>

> Pierre

Re: Beginner question - Kvazer USB CAN driver

GARNERO, PIERRE (P.)
Hello,

Thanks for all this information. And, basically the issue is the fact that no can network interface shows up.

If I boot with the Kvaser device plugged, I could well see it using:
 Lsusb

...but
 sudo ip link list
...does not reveal any can interface while I have loaded these modules: can, can-raw, can-dev, kvaser-usb.
...while dmesg displays "usbcore: registered new interface driver kvaser_usb"...

In addition, if I hotplug Kvaser device, I get a kernel panic.

So, I have probably made a mistake when I have built the kernel.

Cheers,

Pierre